We Kitties Blue are wondering what exactly is National Pet Day? We thought everyday was National Pet Day, or at the very least, National Cat Day. The resident authority on this type of thing claims we were well aware of this day. But as a reminder to both us and our readers, here’s what National Pet Day is all about, according to the NatonalPetDay.org website.
National Pet Day was founded in 2005 by Pet and Family Lifestyle Expert, Animal Welfare Advocate Colleen Paige, to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and to create public awareness about the plight of many different kinds of animals awaiting a forever home in shelters and rescues all around the globe.
Dogs and cats are the most popular pets, but lots of individuals have other types of pets, such as bunnies, ferrets, turtles, chickens, fish, snakes, hamsters and horses, just to name a few. And this day is for all pets no matter the species.
The National Pet Day website lists ten ways to celebrate National Pet Day. A few of those are:
- Adopt a pet from your local shelter or rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter or rescue.
- Buy your pet a fun new toy….or two…or five. (Kitties Blue can really get behind this one.)
- Donate food, litter, toys, blankets, other pet-related items or green papers to your local shelter or rescue.
For other suggestions, visit the National Pet Day website.
Kitties Blue have some suggestions not listed by the National Pet Day organization.
- Spend extra time playing with your pet day.
- Take the opportunity to give your pet a soothing brushing or massage.
- Give your pet some of their favorite treats.
Do you have any special plans for National Pet Day? Kitties Blue have thought and thought and thought about how we’d like to spend our day. Then we took a vote. The photo of Cooper Murphy represents our unanimous decision. (We may ask for a few extra treats as well!)
Whatever you decide to do today, we wish all our anipals a happy and love-filled National Pet Day and challenge all humans to do at least one nice thing for their pet or another animal.
XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo and Cooper Murphy