September is #HappyCatMonth. Kitties Blue expect me to keep them in good spirits every day throughout the year. However, the CATalyst Council, a national initiative comprised of animal health and welfare organizations working on behalf of cats, established September as the official month devoted to making our furry friends happy.
The non-profit Catalyst Council was established to help create a better future for our felines. According to the CATalyst Council, There “vision is a cat-caring society which will be achieved through our mission of connecting & collaborating to advance the health, welfare and value of companion cats. This will ensure all cats are cared for and valued as pets.”
As cat parents, caring for our cats and giving them happy, healthy and safe homes is at the top of our list of priorities. Before you set to spoiling your furry anipal, however, make certain your feline is healthy. Even cats living inside 24/7 (which is always the safest for kitty) should have yearly vet visits. If it’s been awhile since your precious puss visited the veterinarian, please make an appointment for a wellness check and preventative care. A healthy cat is a happy cat.
Suggestions to Promote Your Cat’s Physical and Mental Well-Being
- Take some time each day to play with your cat. Wand toys provide an excellent way to enjoy a one-on-one play session. Play before bedtime can help a midnight frolicker sleep through the night.
- Break out a new toy or one your cat hasn’t played with recently. If your kitty likes catnip, provide a toy infused with nip for hours of fun. (Cat toys do not need to be fancy. The plastic cap from your milk carton, an empty toilet paper roll or a paper bag all make great toys.)
- Occasionally spoil your companion with their favorite food or treat. Just go easy and don’t make this a daily practice. Being overweight impedes your feline’s ability to move, run and play and can lead to serious health issues.
- Provide mental stimulation for your cat by making certain she can access a window for bird and wildlife spotting. Adding a bird feeder and/or bird bath to your yard will offer your furry friend hours of entertainment and pleasure.
- A pot of cat grass is easy to grow indoors for kitty’s munching. Cat grass is a form of fiber. Eating it is instinctual for cats, and it may help your floofy feline throw up those nasty hairballs.
- A spa day can bring pleasure to kitty. A good brushing session and massage offers a great opportunity for bonding. And don’t forget that pawticure. Clipping your cat’s claws and providing a sturdy scratching post will save your furniture and your peace of mind.
- Provide spots around the house where your cat can feel safe and secure as well as go to relax when she needs some alone time. Any change in routine and your cat is likely to become stressed, which can lead to illness.
I know for Kitties Blue spending time on the catio makes them happy.
We should all strive to keep our cats happy everyday, but take some extra time this month to see what you can do to add to your kitty’s pleasure. I am certain all of you have a variety of other ideas for making and keeping your cat happy. Please share them in the comments section.
A happy cat makes for a happy human!
as long as the food keeps a comin’ I’m happy!
We are quite happy all the time, maybe not when we’re in the same room together, but for the most part we are happy and content.
It is always Happy Cat Time! Even Stella & Kenzie know that. But, thank you for this awesome post. Love you all. HUGS.
Thanks for the excellent ideas to make kitties happy. Phoebe is all for cat grass 🙂 XO
Cooper Murphy’s growing so fast! This is a great list of suggestions. Since Bear misbehaves when he’s bored, I’ve tried to play with him daily as long as I’ve had him. The spa day isn’t popular around here … the cats would prefer to keep their fur and their claws 😉
We definitely will show this to the mom. She needs to make sure she keeps us happy.
Nothing beats a nice big happy, count us in!
We both are very happy kitties ! We think we could get more brushies, though. Purrs
guyz…yur catio iz awesum !! we wood be buzed happee ta bee out ther two 🙂 ♥3
We are a bunch of happy cats! Our mom gives each of us a goodnight kiss on the head before she goes to bed–well, everyone except for Izzy. He does not like getting kisses, he likes giving them, so he licks Mom’s arm as his good night to her!
Giving Angel and Chuck a good brushing makes them very happy! Neither really like to play much; only when they are in the mood, not always when humans are available. Typical…
Oh I am a VERY happy boy and I show that every day – I head bonk and hug my Mom and Dad constantly, I run around like a banshee playing with toys or chasing Mom or playing hide and seek…….I am just HAPPY. I know my parents hope I always am because they are always trying to come up with fun games or challenges for me which I love. I wish ALL kitties everywhere could be as happy as I am and as happy as you KB kitties are!
Hannah and Lucy are always happy together and their Mum always smiling.
I am happy cause petcretary did install bird feeders, at three of ou windpws, close to the den for up-close snoopervising.
I love te wand toys and the laser light…
And I want to go outside, but somehow that does not make the petcretary happy. I don’t want to try a leash/harness, though there is one here if i change my mind:)
I’m pretty happy all the time! But I think my human should keep me happier this month. 😉